No matter what sector you operate in, the plethora of health and safety legislation is a potential mine field for the unwary.
MacRoberts highly-regarded Health & Safety Group advise on all aspects of health and safety law. From incident response, representation at police and HSE interviews, the defence of criminal prosecutions and representation at Fatal Accident Inquiries and before Employment Tribunals for appeals against Prohibition and Improvement Notices, all aspects of health and safety work are covered.
We also provide health and safety policy and management advice, as well as training for our clients on various aspects of workplace health and safety law.
We advise companies in the construction, property, leisure, waste, energy, mining, transport, chemical pharmaceutical and manufacturing sectors.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Advising a developer in relation to a prosecution arising from a steelwork collapse.
- Advising a multi-national pharmaceutical company in relation to an explosion at their premises.
- Advising a number of construction companies in relation to prosecutions arising from fatal accidents and associated Fatal Accident Inquiries.
- Acting for a contractor in an asbestos-related prosecution
- Acting for a number of employees in interviews conducted by the police, HSE and HMRI.
- Acting for a manufacturing company in an appeal to the Employment Tribunal against improvement notices.
- Advising in relation to the duties imposed by the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007.
- Advising the PI insurers of an architect in relation to the longest Fatal Accident Inquiry in Scots legal history, the Rosepark Care Home FAI, in which 14 elderly people died following a fire in January 2004. More than 141 days of evidence were heard and 145 files of documentary evidence were considered, in an inquiry that was described by the Court as "exceptional both in terms of its length and complexity".
In relation to Health & Safety work, our team is quoted in:
Chambers UK 2012 as follows:
"This group is highly regarded for its construction expertise, and much of its work is for clients in this sector. It defends companies in health and safety prosecutions and Fatal Accident Inquiries."
and in 'Chambers & Partners 2011' as:
"This team has a strong background in the construction and engineering arena, frequently advising on fatal accidents. It also acts for clients in a range of other industries, including retail and mining. Craig Turnbull is acclaimed by clients as being 'extremely bright - he is able to cut through complex cases and get to the point'."